The Los Angeles Maritime Museum is located on the main channel in Los Angeles Harbor, San Pedro, California, in the former Municipal Ferry Terminal building. The ferry ceased after the Vincent Thomas Bridge was opened to traffic in 1963.
The museum’s building is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The museum opened in 1980 as a result of widespread community efforts and is a facility of the City of Los Angeles, Department of Recreation and Parks.
Exhibits include a history of commercial diving in Los Angeles Harbor, a Navy Hall that features large ship models such as the U.S. Navy cruiser Los Angeles, the Poseidon miniature from the 1972 disaster film, and an exhibit that chronicles the once-thriving San Pedro fishing industry. The commercial fishing exhibit focuses on the history of Los Angeles Harbor-based purse (net) seining, the San Pedro Fishermen’s Fiesta, and the Terminal Island canneries. Upstairs are models of merchant ships such as the Silverpalm, square riggers, sailboats, and also a fully operational ham radio station. The museum operates the tugboat Angels Gate, built in 1944 for the Army Transportation Service. Angels Gate was originally known as ST-695 and were among the fleet of tugboats designed for the WWII European theater.
The fireboat Ralph J. Scott, a U.S. National Historic Landmark, is located nearby.