About 18 puppetry troupes, of which 14 water puppetry troupes will compete at the first national traditional puppetry festival from 13-18 June 2011 in Hai Duong Province.
The festival will be organised by the Performing Arts Department, the Viet Nam Stage Artists Association, the Hai Duong Department of Culture, Sports and Tourism and Vietnam UNIMA (Union Internationale de la Marionnette – International Puppetry Association).
Nguyen Dang Chuong, Deputy Director General of the Performing Arts Department, said this traditional puppetry festival is one of the beginning activities of “Preserving and promoting traditional arts” project. The project aims to look for traditional arts talents and make policies to support these talents become professional artists.
The organization board will award prizes for excellent performances and individuals and grant certificate for individuals and troupes who reach high achievements during the festival. The artists’ awards of this festival will add to their achievements, which will be submitted to the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism to consider for the title of People’s Artisan and Meritorious Artisan.
The festival is not only a good opportunity for the puppetry troupes to exchange and learn experience but also a chance for audiences to enjoy attractive traditional puppetry performances existing for a long time in Vietnam.
- Southern Fruit Festival in HCM City
- Ba Be recognised as the third Ramsar in Vietnam
- Sea and Island Festival 2011 opens
- Floating school emphasises heritage preservation
- Museum celebrates cuisine of resistance war
- Measures to preserve Nha Trang Bay discussed
- Nha Trang Sea Festival to boost marine-based economy
- Southern Land Food Festival 2011
- Culture and Tourism Week scheduled next month in Quang Binh